Job Seekers - Zero In on Your Job Search Targets!
Thursday, November 13, 2014, 7:00pm - 8:30pm, in the Helen Plum Library Auditorium
Use AtoZ Databases to reach key people and increase job search efficiency. This search tool is free to all library visitors and free from home when using your Helen Plum Library card.
To register, go to: http://helenplum.evanced.info/eventcalendar.asp or call Adult Services at 630-627-0316.
Hiring Our Heroes - Virtual Job Fair
Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:00am to 3:00pm
This is an online virtual job fair. Free & open to veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses. Registration required. Sponsored by the US Chamber of Commerce, the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Foundation, & Hiring Our Heroes.
For more information & to register, click here
Job Fair site: VirtualJobScout.org
JOB SEARCH TOOLKIT
COPING WITH UNEMPLOYMENT & RELATED ISSUES
COBRA-Continuation of Health Coverage
- How to continue your health coverage after a job loss.
- "C.R.I.S.", Community Resource Information System, offers information on food, clothing, elder care, child care and more.
Get Covered Illinois
- Get Covered Illinois is the Illinois starting point to apply for health care coverage through the Marketplace Exchange of the Affordable Care Act.
Goodwill Workforce Connection Centers
- Offers free job search assistance.
Illinois Hardest Hit Program
- For temporary mortgage payment assistance to households that are struggling with unemployment or underemployment.
People's Resource Center
- Offers emergency help with food, housing, job assistance, literacy, computer skills, & more.
CAREER EXPLORATION & TRAINING
- Find the latest information on occupations, wages, education and training requirements, outlook and much more
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals.
-Free online tutorials for learning Internet basics, Microsoft Office, computers, & more.
My Next Move
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career exploration that matches your interests & training.
- Explore occupational knowledge and skill requirements to see how they match with interests and abilities.
Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS)
- Covers hundreds of occupations and describes what they do, work environment, how to become one, pay, and more. Also includes BLS employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
-Explore salaries for jobs in the US.
- Learn to type-Free!
FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS
Hotmail - Microsoft's online email
WHERE TO FIND JOBS
JOB APPLICATIONS, RESUMES, & INTERVIEWING
Job Application Guide
- Includes information on how to complete paper, online and employer-direct job applications. Also includes job application examples and forms.
Online Jobs & Kiosks-The Riley Guide
- Provides information about employment/hiring kiosks and practice job applications.
- Resources for resumes, cover letters, interviews, etc.