Job Seekers - Networking 101
Thursday, September 10, 2015, 7:00pm - 8:00pm, in the Helen Plum Library Auditorium
Bonnie Liptak, of Career Growth Unlimited, will show you how to develop contacts you already have, & how to create & maintain new contacts in your job search.
To register, go to: http://helenplum.evanced.info/eventcalendar.asp or call Adult Services at 630-627-0316.
JVS Job Search Counseling
Every 3rd Tuesday, 9:00am - 12:00noon, in the 2nd floor Helen Plum Library conference room
Joyce Bogolub, of Jewish Vocational Services - Lombard, is now available to offer 30-minute, one-on-one, job search counseling at the library. Free & open to the public.
To make your appointment, call Joyce Bogolub directly at 630-889-0548.
Elmhurst College - Over 40 & Hired: A Resume Clinic
Thursday, July 9th, 2015, 8:15 a.m. to 9:45 a.m., at the Frick Center, Elmhurst College, 190 Prospect Ave., Elmhurst, IL
CTC coach Marcia McMahon will help you examine success, values, and aspirations to develop a professional, results-focused resume. This event is open to the public and admission is $10 per person, and includes a continental breakfast.
For more information & to register, click here
JOB SEARCH TOOLKIT
COPING WITH UNEMPLOYMENT & RELATED ISSUES
COBRA-Continuation of Health Coverage
- How to continue your health coverage after a job loss.
- "C.R.I.S.", Community Resource Information System, offers information on food, clothing, elder care, child care and more.
Get Covered Illinois
- Get Covered Illinois is the Illinois starting point to apply for health care coverage through the Marketplace Exchange of the Affordable Care Act.
Goodwill Workforce Connection Centers
- Offers free job search assistance.
Illinois Hardest Hit Program
- For temporary mortgage payment assistance to households that are struggling with unemployment or underemployment.
People's Resource Center
- Offers emergency help with food, housing, job assistance, literacy, computer skills, & more.
CAREER EXPLORATION & TRAINING
- Find the latest information on occupations, wages, education and training requirements, outlook and much more
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals.
-Free online tutorials for learning Internet basics, Microsoft Office, computers, & more.
My Next Move
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career exploration that matches your interests & training.
- Explore occupational knowledge and skill requirements to see how they match with interests and abilities.
Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS)
- Covers hundreds of occupations and describes what they do, work environment, how to become one, pay, and more. Also includes BLS employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
-Explore salaries for jobs in the US.
- Learn to type-Free!
FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS
Hotmail - Microsoft's online email
WHERE TO FIND JOBS
JOB APPLICATIONS, RESUMES, & INTERVIEWING
Job Application Guide
- Includes information on how to complete paper, online and employer-direct job applications. Also includes job application examples and forms.
Online Jobs & Kiosks-The Riley Guide
- Provides information about employment/hiring kiosks and practice job applications.
- Resources for resumes, cover letters, interviews, etc.