Job Seekers - 10 Tips for LinkedIn!
Thursday, May 14, 2015, 7:00pm - 8:00pm, in the Helen Plum Library Auditorium
Craig Engstrom, Assistant Professor at Elmhurst College, returns to show you how to maximize your LinkedIn profile views.
To register, go to: http://helenplum.evanced.info/eventcalendar.asp or call Adult Services at 630-627-0316.
Triton College Job Fair
Thursday, May 7, 2015, 10:00am - 2:00pm, at Triton College, Robert M. Collins Center Gymnasium, R Building, 2000 Fifth Avenue River Grove, IL 60171
The Triton College Career Services Center will be welcoming a wide variety of local companies and organizations recruiting for full-time, part-time and seasonal employment. Free for job seekers but professional attire is mandatory and a resume is required for entry.
For more information, click here
Chicago Sky Career Fair
Friday, June 5, 2015, 4:30pm - 7:00pm, at Allstate Arena, 6920 N. Mannheim Road, Rosemont, IL 60018 (Skyline Room across from stadium)
Come meet participants from the Chicago-land businesses and sports franchises. Teams include the Chicago Bears, Chicago Wolves, Northwestern University, Chicago Sky, Rivers Casino, New World Van Lines, Dick's Sporting Goods, Corner Bakery, & many more. Full-time, part-time and internship openings. Registration is $20 and includes access to the career fair and ticket to the Sky game vs. Indiana Fever at 7:30 pm. Parking is $13.
For more information & to register, click here
JOB SEARCH TOOLKIT
COPING WITH UNEMPLOYMENT & RELATED ISSUES
COBRA-Continuation of Health Coverage
- How to continue your health coverage after a job loss.
- "C.R.I.S.", Community Resource Information System, offers information on food, clothing, elder care, child care and more.
Get Covered Illinois
- Get Covered Illinois is the Illinois starting point to apply for health care coverage through the Marketplace Exchange of the Affordable Care Act.
Goodwill Workforce Connection Centers
- Offers free job search assistance.
Illinois Hardest Hit Program
- For temporary mortgage payment assistance to households that are struggling with unemployment or underemployment.
People's Resource Center
- Offers emergency help with food, housing, job assistance, literacy, computer skills, & more.
CAREER EXPLORATION & TRAINING
- Find the latest information on occupations, wages, education and training requirements, outlook and much more
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals.
-Free online tutorials for learning Internet basics, Microsoft Office, computers, & more.
My Next Move
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career exploration that matches your interests & training.
- Explore occupational knowledge and skill requirements to see how they match with interests and abilities.
Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS)
- Covers hundreds of occupations and describes what they do, work environment, how to become one, pay, and more. Also includes BLS employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
-Explore salaries for jobs in the US.
- Learn to type-Free!
FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS
Hotmail - Microsoft's online email
WHERE TO FIND JOBS
JOB APPLICATIONS, RESUMES, & INTERVIEWING
Job Application Guide
- Includes information on how to complete paper, online and employer-direct job applications. Also includes job application examples and forms.
Online Jobs & Kiosks-The Riley Guide
- Provides information about employment/hiring kiosks and practice job applications.
- Resources for resumes, cover letters, interviews, etc.