Help With Your Resume
First Wednesday of each month, March through June, 2013, in the Helen Plum Auditorium
Craig Engstrom, Assistant Professor of Communication Arts and Sciences at Elmhurst College, will be available in 30-minute sessions to give individual help with your resume.
Wednesday, May 1, 7pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday, June 5, 7pm - 8:30pm
To sign up for your 30-minute session, call Adult Services: 630-627-0316.
Job Seekers: Interview Skills
Thursday, May 23, 2013, 7pm - 8:30pm, in the Helen Plum Library Auditorium
This 2-hour workshop will cover: “soft skills” companies are looking for; what to do before, during and after an interview; importance of appearance and punctuality, non-verbal communication and the 12 most common interview questions. Presenter Bob Schlacks worked for Human Resources at AT&T, and is retired from Waubonsee Community College, where he worked in community relations and recruited adult students.
To register, go to: helenplum.org, then to Events/Adult Programs.
Or call Adult Services: 630-627-0316.
Job MarketPlace 2013 Job Fair
Thursday, May 23, 2013, 1pm - 5pm, at College of Lake County - Grayslake Campus, Physical Education Center (Gymnasium, Building 7), 19351 W. Washington Street, Grayslake, IL
FREE. No preregistration required. Bring your resumes & dress for success. Sponsored by College of Lake County, IDES, Lake County Health Dept., & more.
For more information, click here.
NAACP Professional & Technology Career Fair
Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10am - 3pm, at Navy Pier, 600 E Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
FREE. Employers are seeking candidates with a 4 year degree or higher. Bring resumes and dress is business casual.
For more information, click here.
Or contact: Danelle Simmons, 915-595-4493, email@example.com
JOB SEARCH TOOLKIT
COPING WITH UNEMPLOYMENT & RELATED ISSUES
COBRA-Continuation of Health Coverage
- How to continue your health coverage after a job loss.
- "C.R.I.S.", Community Resource Information System, offers information on food, clothing, elder care, child care and more.
Illinois Hardest Hit Program
- For temporary mortgage payment assistance to households that are struggling with unemployment or underemployment.
People's Resource Center
- Offers emergency help with food, housing, job assistance, literacy, computer skills, & more.
CAREER EXPLORATION & TRAINING
- Find the latest information on occupations, wages, education and training requirements, outlook and much more
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals.
-Free online tutorials for learning Internet basics, Microsoft Office, computers, & more.
My Next Move
- A US Dept. of Labor site that offers career exploration that matches your interests & training.
- Explore occupational knowledge and skill requirements to see how they match with interests and abilities.
Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS)
- Covers hundreds of occupations and describes what they do, work environment, how to become one, pay, and more. Also includes BLS employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
-Explore salaries for jobs in the US.
- Learn to type-Free!
FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS
Hotmail - Microsoft's online email
WHERE TO FIND JOBS
JOB APPLICATIONS, RESUMES, & INTERVIEWING
Job Application Guide
- Includes information on how to complete paper, online and employer-direct job applications. Also includes job application examples and forms.
Online Jobs & Kiosks-The Riley Guide
- Provides information about employment/hiring kiosks and practice job applications.
- Resources for resumes, cover letters, interviews, etc.