Plum Pickup Service allows Library cardholders to place a hold on items for pickup while maintaining safe social distancing, much like the curbside pickup service that many restaurants offer.
When will it be available?
Contactless pickup at Helen Plum Library begins Mon, Jun 8. Pickup hours are as follows and by appointment only.
Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat: 9am–4pm
Tue and Thu: 1pm–8pm
How do I request items?
You can request items through our library catalog or by calling the Library during the above hours at (630) 627-0316. When calling, please have your Library card number and email address ready. There is a maximum item hold limit of 30 items per cardholder.
What items can I check out?
Patrons can place a hold to borrow these items via contactless pickup:
- DVDs and Blu-ray
- Books on CD and Playaways
- Video Games
- WiFi Hotspots
Unfortunately, the following items are not available for contactless pickup at this time:
- Learning Games
How do I make an appointment?
Wait for email notification from us that your items are ready. Your pickup email notification will include steps to set up your pickup appointment. Patrons will only be able to make an appointment when hold(s) on their account are available, and will need to input their full 14-digit card number and PIN when logging in. Click here to schedule a pickup appointment or manage an existing appointment.
What is the process for pickup?
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment time. Parking for the Library is across Park Ave in a shared lot with Elmhurst Health Center.
- Once parked, come to the front entrance doors. Please wear a mask and maintain 6 feet of social distance from staff and any cardholders in front of you in line, as indicated on the sidewalk.
- At your scheduled appointment time, all available items will be in a Plum Pickup bag, marked with your name, on the table just inside the doors at the front of our building. Any items not currently available will stay in the system and you will be notified as they become available.
- Staff will verbally verify your name and then you simply grab your items and go!
Please do not attempt to enter the Library building past the initial set of doors.
If you have a question or concern about your items, or if you need items brought out to your car, you may call (630) 627-0316 when you park in a designated Plum Pick Up spot.
How long can I keep my materials?
All items will be checked out for 3 weeks with 2 automatic renewals if no one is waiting for the item.
How do I return my materials?
We ask that all return materials be placed in our curbside book drops or designated bins in the front lobby. Do not hand items directly to staff during contactless pickup transactions.
What measures is the Library taking to keep patrons and staff safe?
All items will be quarantined for 4 days upon return. (Quarantine length updated to 4 days on July 23) They will not be checked in until the quarantine period is completed, and no late fees will be assessed during this time.
Staff are required to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer after touching returned materials and emptying the book drop. Staff will wear protective gear while handling materials.
- In accordance with state mandate, patrons and staff are expected to wear face masks and maintain 6 feet of social distancing at all times.
Click here to contact us on Live Chat with a Librarian, via e-mail or by calling (630) 627-0316.