2023 Trustee Election Information
Elections for Library Board of Trustee will take place on Tuesday, April 4, 2023 during the Consolidated Elections. There will be three seats on the ballot for this election cycle. Each position term will run from May 2023 until April 2027.
As of September 20, 2022, petitions may be circulated for the position of Library Board Trustee.
Being a Trustee
The Library Board of Trustees is composed of seven residents of the Library district who are registered voters. They are elected in staggered 4-year terms. The Board meets once a month at the library on the third Tuesday of the month at 7pm.
Eligibility for Library Trustee:
- You must be a registered voter.
- You must have resided in the Library District for at least 1 year as of the filing of a nomination petition (packet).
- You must not be delinquent (in arrears) in paying real estate taxes to the Library District or delinquent as to “other indebtedness” to the Library District.
- You must not have a conviction for “any infamous crime, bribery, perjury, or other felony”.
Routine duties of board members are to:
- Vote to approve the financial report and payment of bills
- Approve all expenditures over $25,000
- Vote on questions of policy
- Evaluate the Director on an annual basis
The following paperwork must be submitted as part of the nomination paperwork:
- Statement of Economic Interest Receipt
- Statement of Candidacy
- Loyalty Oath (optional)
- Nomination Petitions
- Certification of Deletions (if applicable, must be filed if a Certification of Attached List is filed)
- Certification of Attached List of Deletions (if applicable)
Candidate Filing Period - December 12, 2022 - December 19, 2022
Candidates should file their nomination paperwork during the filing period at the times listed below.
- Monday, December 12, 2022 through Friday, December 16 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 19, 2022 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Weekday evening and weekend hours are available by appointment only. Candidates should contact Sara Plasman to make an appointment to submit the nomination paperwork.
The order in which the packets are submitted will determine the order of names on the ballot. When two or more petitions are simultaneously filed as of the opening hour of the filing period (must be waiting outside the library doors prior to or at 9:00 a.m. on December 12) or within the last hour of the filing deadline (4:00-5:00 p.m. on December 19), the local election official shall break ties and determine the order of filing by means of a lottery. The lottery shall be conducted within nine days after the last day of the petition filing period and shall be open to the public.
Please contact Sara Plasman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-627-0316 ext. 250.