B-11 Search Warrants (Conventional)
Board & General Administrative
HELEN M. PLUM MEMORIAL LIBRARY
B-11 Policy for Search Warrants – Conventional
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees October 21, 2014.
This Policy for Search Warrants - Conventional is designed to assist Library Staff in responding to conventional search warrants, i.e., search warrants not issued under the Patriot Act. A separate policy exists for search warrants issued under the Patriot Act given the non-disclosure requirements of the Patriot Act.
For purposes of this Policy, conventional search warrants are referred to as “search warrants/cv”.
Library Staff will cooperate with law enforcement officials to allow access to items within the scope of the search warrant/cv while at the same time seek to protect the rights of patrons in accordance with the Illinois Library Records Confidentiality Act (75 ILCS 70/1-2).
- Designated Library Individual - The Library Director will handle all requests to search Library records pursuant to a search warrant/cv. In the absence of the Director, the Person in Charge will deal with a search warrant/cv.
- Identify Serving Officer - The Library Director or Person in Charge will request identification from law enforcement officials and record their names, badge numbers, and agencies.
- Review Search Warrant/CV for Content - The Library Director or Person in Charge will review the search warrant/cv when served and will contact the Library Attorneys for consultation concerning the scope of the search warrant/cv and compliance procedures.
- Request the Presence of Library Attorney - The Library Director or Person in Charge will ask law enforcement officials to wait until the Library Attorney is present before beginning the search.
- Cooperate with Officials - The Library Director or Person in will cooperate with law enforcement officials to help identify the materials falling within the scope of the search warrant/cv.
- No Access to Other Records - The Library Director or Person in will not permit access to materials beyond the scope of the search warrant/cv, i.e., materials not specifically identified in the search warrant/cv.
- Record Evidence Viewed or Taken - The Library Director or Person in will record all materials viewed, copied, or removed from the Library during the search.
- Provide this Policy - To assist law enforcement officials, a copy of this Policy will be provided promptly to the officials upon their arrival at the Library.