Board & General Administrative
HELEN M. PLUM MEMORIAL LIBRARY
B-12 Policy for Search Warrants - PATRIOT ACT
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees, October 21, 2014.
This Policy for Search Warrants - Patriot Act is designed to assist Library Staff in responding to search warrants issued under the Patriot Act.
For purposes of this Policy, search warrants issued under the Patriot Act are referred to as “search warrants/pa”.
Library Staff will cooperate with law enforcement officials to allow access to items within the scope of the search warrant/pa while at the same time seek to protect the rights of patrons in accordance with the Illinois Library Records Confidentiality Act (75 ILCS 70/1-2).
- Designated Library Individual - The Library Director will handle all requests to search Library records pursuant to a search warrant/pa. In the absence of the Director, the Person in Charge will deal with a search warrant/pa:
- Identify Serving Officer - The Library Director or Person in Charge will request identification from law enforcement officials and record their names, badge numbers, and agencies.
- Review Search Warrant/PA for Content - The Library Director or Person in Charge will review the search warrant/pa when served and will contact the Library Attorneys for consultation concerning the scope of the search warrant/pa and compliance procedures.
- Request the Presence of Library Attorney - The Library Director or Person in Charge will ask law enforcement officials to wait until the Library Attorney is present before beginning the search.
- Cooperate with Officials - The Library Director or Person in Charge will cooperate with law enforcement officials to help identify the materials falling within the scope of the search warrant/pa.
- No Access to Other Records - The Library Director or Person in Charge will not permit access to materials beyond the scope of the search warrant/pa, i.e., materials not specifically identified in the search warrant/pa.
- Record Evidence Viewed or Taken - The Library Director or Person in Charge will record all materials viewed, copied, or removed from the Library during the search.
- Provide this Policy - To assist law enforcement officials, a copy of this Policy will be provided promptly to the officials upon their arrival at the Library.
- NO DISCLOSURE OF SEARCH - NO PERSON WILL DISCLOSE THE RECEIPT OF THE SEARCH WARRANT/PA OR THE SEARCH TO ANYONE EXCEPT THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR AND/OR THE LIBRARY ATTORNEY.